Monday, January 9, 2012


In Chris's class we have been studying some electronics. We started out doing simple circuits with flashlight bulbs and batteries. Since they are Summers - Knoll kids they blasted through that in a flash. So we moved on the what I called "Arguably the most important invention of the last 100 years."  

It is always fun to see that students say when I ask them what they think is the most important invention of the last 100 years is. Try asking. If you really want to make it interesting see if you can get them to tell you why they think that their choice is so important.

For a few weeks we have been working on some simple transistor circuits. (You guessed it my candidate is the transistor. The entire electronics industry would not be possible without it.) The circuit below is a transistor switch circuit. 


Today was very cool. The class was buzzing. When we started this project I told them that it would include some frustrating parts. That I was asking a lot of them but in return they would be masters of the most important invention of the last 100 years. Pretty Epic don't you think.

Today was cool because they really turned the corner on their understanding. In addition, they were eagerly helping each other so all the groups mastered the circuit. Another fun part is that I get to be diabolical by sabotaging the circuits to see if they can troubleshoot them and fix them again.








1 comment:

  1. Emma actually really enjoys this, if we can only teach her to be more kind to herself. She enjoys science. We are working on helping her learn it's okay to ask questions and tell us about problems.

    Love that you are teaching them about electronics. Something I didn't learn until I was in my 30's.

    ReplyDelete